Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Let's keep it going!

I don't know about you, but I had an amazing time on our mission trip to Sault Ste Marie. I thought the staff was excellent, the church time and devotions were insightful and the ministry sites were perfect. I loved meeting new people that i could talk about God with. I loved getting that chance to give of myself and not think about 'what's in it for me' for a while. I appreciated that everyone I was hanging around with were all on that same schedule of morning devotions and prayers in the morning, service during the day and praise and worship each evening. It sure made it easy to devote myself to God that week.

It's difficult though to keep that kind of devotion going once I come home. I get out of that routine; I start thinking about other things; my priorities change as other things take over my life. TV, movies, bills, the Internet, family responsibilities, other jobs all start weaseling their way back into my day. I want to try to keep that feeling, that service, that routine that I had on my mission trip but it's hard!

I am guessing that you are feeling the same way. I know I grew closer to God that week, and I think many of you did as well. Let's not step back. Let's work together and hold each other accountable for the promises we made to God to continue to get to know Him better, to rely on Him and to try to be more like His Son.

One way to do this would be to continue to make time for devotions during the day. If you don't have time for a half hour like we did on the trip, just devote some time each day to learn more about God's word and what it means to YOU. Reflecting on Scripture helps internalize God's purpose for you.

Don't forget to praise God for the wonderful way He's working in your life. When you are praying, don't just ask for things to happen, but take the time to see what God has done for you and thank Him for that.

Also, remember to continue to talk about your experience with others. Share the way God moved you and used you during your mission trip.

And finally, when you find yourself forgetting to do these things, or needing help to remember, use each other for support! Call a friend, or me or another adult who can encourage you to keep it up even when it's hard. If you find yourself discouraged, talk to other people about it! Don't give up.





No comments: