Thursday, March 12, 2009

Our Daily Bread





In the Lord's Prayer, we say, "give us this day our daily bread." (Matthew 6:11) Personally, I love bread. Bagels and cream cheese, toast with peanut butter and english muffins are often what I eat for breakfast. However, while Jesus may have been referring to the physical act of eating, I believe He was really saying we should understand that God provides what we need for our daily living. But what is that? I don't believe it's just food, water and shelter. I believe we need the Word of God, the Spirit of God and the Grace of God in our daily lives. 

I mentioned in my post at the beginning of Lent that I am working on spending more time with God each day. One of the ways I'm doing this is by reading "Our Daily Bread." "Our Daily Bread" is a monthly booklet of devotionals. For each day there is a scripture passage and a short thoughtful story.  While a lot of the stories are geared toward adult readers, you might want to give it a try. 

You don't even have to pick up a book. They have all the devotionals on their website here. You can go back and look at previous dates or look ahead to future dates (find the one for your birthday!) Try this resource to help you grow closer to God and strengthen your faith. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really liked that. I think I'll check that often!

~Hallie