Monday, June 24, 2013

It was warm but worth it!


We might have chosen one of the hottest days of the year so far to walk around downtown Detroit, but I think it was quite worth it! After a few minor glitches (Family Fun Days on the River Front and an afternoon Detroit Tigers game we didn't account for, which made parking a little more of a problem) we made it!

6 youth and 3 adults (including me) made 22 lunches that included a sandwich, fruit cup, water bottle, chips and cookies  to hand out to some hungry people we met. Since this was our first attempt at this mission activity, we started on a small scale. In less than an hour, our supplies were gone! We all came back to the car saying we should have had more!

I think the best part of this ministry is that we don't just give hungry people food, we also pray with them and for them. I don't think many indigent people feel that they are worthy enough to be prayed for. I think (hope) we're able to show them that they matter in the eyes of God.

I hope more people can join us when we do this ministry again. I'd like to make it a regular thing!

What do you think?

No comments: